Unmatched Power and Flexibility for Embedded Data Acquisition Programming
Diamond Systems' Universal Driver software provides unmatched power and flexibility for embedded data acquisition programming using the integrated DAQ circuits on our SBCs as well as our PC/104 and mini-card I/O modules. A broad range of functions provides flexible control of every feature supported by each board. Consistent function names across products make it easy to migrate from one product to another as your needs change.
Universal Driver is designed for an easy and simple user experience. You can download, install, and run the software in under 5 minutes. A collection of ready-to-run demo programs with source code is provided for each function and each board to help you get started quickly. Simply click on the given executable to run the demo. Then modify it freely for your own needs. All documentation is on Gitbook for convenience and easy maintenance.
Standard OS support includes Windows 7, Windows 10, and Linux, in both 32-bit and 64-bit configurations, depending on the product. See the complete list of supported OS below
Universal Driver software is provided free to all users of Diamond Systems data acquisition boards. Downloading the driver requires a click-through license agreement from the Diamond Systems website.
This list provides a representative sample of the functions available with Universal Driver 7.0. The exact list of supported features for each board depends on that board’s available features. Check your board's Universal Driver User manual for details.
- Analogue input, single-channel: Configure the analogue input range and perform an A/D conversion on a single channel
- Analogue input, multi-channel scan: Configure the analogue input range and perform an A/D conversion on a group of channels in rapid succession with a single command
- Analogue input, high speed single/multi-channel with interrupts: Configure the analogue input range and counter/timer circuit, then perform an ongoing sequence or fixed-quantity number of conversions of a single channel at a user-defined sample rate
- Analogue input, high-speed multi-channel scans with interrupts: Configure the analogue input range and counter/timer circuit, then perform an ongoing sequence or fixed-quantity number of conversions of a group of channels at a user-defined sample rate; each clock pulse will sample all channels in the group in rapid succession
- Analogue output single channel: Configure the analogue output range, then output a given voltage to a single channel
- Analogue output, multi-channel with a simultaneous update: Configure the analogue output range, then output a given voltage to a group of channels; depending on the board the channels may update one at a time in rapid succession or simultaneously
- Analog waveform generator, multi-channel: Download a user-defined waveform to the board’s waveform buffer, then output the waveform at a user-defined sample rate
- Digital I/O, bit/byte functions: Configure the DIO lines for input or output, then read or write bit/byte values; some boards also support interrupts on change of state of digital inputs
- Counter rate generator: Configure a counter/timer for a fixed output frequency to drive an external circuit at a precise rate
- Counting functions: Count external rising or falling edges of a digital signal; generate pulses; generate an interrupt after a defined time period or a defined number of external events
- Counter-driven interrupts: Enable user-defined code to run at precise intervals
- Pulse width modulator: Output a series of pulses with user-defined frequency, duty cycle, and polarity
Operating System Support for Universal Driver 8.3
The list of Diamond SBCs and I/O boards supported in 8.3 has changed from previous versions due to changes in product lineup and availability. See below for a list of which OS and bit size is available for each board.
Boards that have no support will only have support for UD version 7.0
|Board||Universal Driver 8.3|
|Win7 32-bit||Win7 64-bit||Win10 32-bit||Win10 64-bit||Linux 32-bit|
(3.x and 4.x)
(3.x and 4.x)
|Athena IV BT||No||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Venus SL, KL||No||No||No||No||No||No|
BT = Bay Trail Atom E3825 / E3845 (depending on product and model)
AL = Apollo Lake Atom E3940 / N4200 (depending on product and model)
SL = Skylake Core i7 6600U
KL = Kaby Lake Core i7 7660U
WL = Whiskey Lake core i7 8665UE
T56 = AMD G-Series T56N processor